Senior Estimator - 1208718
We are seeking a Senior Estimator to strengthen and expand our current level of market share throughout the state of Hawaii. Over the past five years we have made a successful transition into Design Build (over 35% is DB) with a full-service in-house engineering team that supports both our Construction and Special Projects groups. We now need to expand our Estimating Department to complement our team in delivering the highest level of customer care in our region. This is critically important to the ongoing success and operation of the company. This candidate will strengthen our current level of market share across all counties of the state. This is a key position within the company that reports directly to the Chief Estimator and work closely with the Director of Preconstruction, Director of Design Build, Operations Managers, Service Managers, and the BIM Manager. Expertise in Plumbing, Mechanical Systems (HVAC), Sheet Metal, Controls, and Fire Protection are desired. The candidate should have a “roll up the sleeves” mentality to address and resolve business issues and inspire their team to do the same.
The candidate needs to be a strong and experienced leader with a full range of experience in mechanical contracting. This candidate needs to have experience soliciting opportunities, developing relationships, estimating, proposing, closing, and preparing new awards for operational execution in the high-rise residential, hospitality, commercial, military, health care, and education market sectors. Resonating with customer requirements must be a high priority along with building long-term relationships based upon respect and trust. The ideal candidate needs to embrace the company operating philosophy and culture, along with the unique culture of the Hawaiian Islands.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The candidate we are seeking requires an extensive mechanical background with industry knowledge, business development acumen, estimating experience with or without design documents to provide a solution-based proposal assisting our clients in achieving the best possible outcome for their property/project while maintaining a high-level of profitability for the organization. Critical thinking skills, discretionary thinking, project execution planning, and estimating accuracy are of the utmost importance.
- Review solicitations, vetting opportunities for strategic advantages, corporate alignment, and profitability for final review and determination with Chief Estimator and Director of Preconstruction.
- Attend site visits/pre-bid meetings to survey and document existing conditions, identify project constraints, and identify potential competition. Coordinate attendance of suppliers, vendors, and subcontractors as necessary.
- Review bid documents ensuring compliance with RFPs.
- Develop project execution strategies aligning estimate, proposal, schedule/sequencing, and contractual obligations while focusing on Safe execution for field resources.
- Perform quantitative take-off for HVAC piping, sheet metal ductwork, and plumbing piping systems as required.
- Coordination with Chief Estimator for additional quantitative take-off needs and estimating support.
- Coordination with Chief Estimator and Bid Coordinator to solicit supplier, vendor, and subcontractor proposals reviewing for scope compliance.
- Coordinate with internal resources to provide or generate pertinent company information required for RFP response.
- Develop estimates and qualified proposals which leverage market advantages, mitigate risks, and ensure company profitability.
- Review estimates and proposals with Chief Estimator and/or Director of Preconstruction.
- Lead final bid closings with executive-level personnel and project operational team.
- Continuous customer communications with existing and new clientele.
- Follow up on outstanding pursuits.
- Negotiate final scope and contract values on pending awards.
- Generate project setup including line-item budget based upon estimate for Chief Estimator and/or Director of Preconstruction review prior to accounting entry.
- Lead transition/turn-over meetings with Operations for new awards, clearly conveying organization obligations, scope of work, schedule commitments, vendor/supplier/subcontractor commitments to facilitate a smooth transition from Preconstruction.
- Participate in post project review meeting and collect feedback from Operations and Accounting to reconcile estimated costs vs actual costs.
- Participation in weekly Sales meetings.
- Establish customer relationships that are based on delivering the highest level of service, trust and responsiveness.
- Follow the company’s project management flow chart as applicable.
- Comply with company policies, rules, regulations, and standards.
- All other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent attention to detail with ability to multi-task.
- Maintain high level of accuracy and ability to QC own work and work of others.
- Advanced computer skills.
- Advanced mathematical skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Analytical, problem solving and reasoning abilities.
- Ability to handle a wide spectrum of work.
- Collaborate and work cooperatively with team members in a positive and professional manner.
- Clear and professional communication skills.
- Ability to conceptualize the final product.
- Strong, energetic work ethic to execute all responsibilities.
- Results oriented.
- Microsoft Windows Suite
- Bluebeam Review
- Customer Selected Document Distribution Software (isqft, BuildingConnected, etc.)
- Onscreen Mechanical Takeoff Software Preferred
Education and Qualifications
- BS or BA degree preferred (Business or Engineering preferred). Will accept experience with a solid track record in lieu of a degree.
- 15 plus years experience in plumbing and mechanical contracting (10 plus years in estimating of plumbing and mechanical systems).
- Experience leading an estimating team of 3 or more employees.
- Experienced in simultaneously managing multiple project assignments.
- Membership in MCAA, DBIA and ASHRAE desired.
Self-performed scope and disciplines for estimating pursuits to include:
- HVAC Pipe Trades
- Duct Work
- Mechanical HVAC Systems
- Fire Protection
- Controls and Electrical
- Competitive market-based compensation plan will include base salary and fringe benefits commensurate with the position.
- The position will be located in either Maui or Honolulu.
- Some travel to neighbor islands is required.